Shop All Products
All orders over $200 ship for free!
Replacement Filter for ICS-STP PolyHalt Softener with Sediment and Chlorine Filter
Item Number: ICS-STPK
Whole House Water Filter For;
- Removing sediment and particles to clarify water
- Chlorine taste and odor
- Hard water – white spots, hard scale buildup, gray dingy hard laundry
- Staining – red/orange, brown/black, blue/green
- Low pH
- Appliance protection
- Silica etching and pitting on glass (spots won’t come off glass surfaces)
The Cascadian ICS-STPK is the Replacement Filter for ICS-STP Systems
The ICS-STPK filter is made specifically for the Cascadian ICS-STP system with the PolyHalt salt free ion bond softener and multimicron sediment filter. For more information on PolyHalt see What is a PolyHalt Salt Free Softener?
PolyHalt salt free ion bond softener with sediment and chlorine filter system details:
- Water Treatment for whole home or business
- Industry Leading Treatment Technology
- Long lasting multimicron sediment filter technology
- Cleaner clearer water with sediment and particles down to 5 micron removed
- Better tasting and smelling water
- Removes chlorine and other taste and odor problems (NOT for H2S hydrogen sulfide rotten egg odor, please see the ICS-H water treatment system).
- PolyHalt® salt free ion bond water softener:
- Easier cleaning and maintaining of home or business
- Brighter, whiter, softer laundry
- Soaps, shampoos, conditioners etc. will work better and you will use less
- No slippery or slimy feeling
- Low maintenance
- A legal replacement for conventional salt-based water softeners
- Approved for use where conventional salt-based softeners are banned
- Not subject to any regulations banning or restricting salt softeners including those in California
- Treatment for silica etching and pitting of glass
- Long lasting multimicron sediment filter technology
- Benefits compared to salt based softeners and backwashing filters
- Eco-friendly treatment
- Salt free softening
- Save 30± bags of salt per year
- Produces no waste water
- No backwash or regeneration cycles
- Save 10,000± gallons of wastewater per year
- No power required to operate
- Salt free softening
- Small size
- 20 times smaller than typical salt softeners and backwashing media filters
- Does not take up valuable floor space - system hangs on the wall
- Simple installation
- Simple annual maintenance
- Annual filter change
- Includes drain on filter housing for clean no spill easy filter changes
- Less expensive
- Lower cost to buy and maintain
- Less time spent to maintain
- Save $100's and 2-3 days each year compared to traditional salt-based softeners
- Eco-friendly treatment
Warning in the State of California; WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
|Dimensions||21 × 11 × 7 in|
ICS-STPK Sediment Filter, Taste & Odor Filter and PolyHalt Salt Free Softener Replacement Cartridge Kit
Dimensions: 4.5″ x 20″ (fits industry standard 4.5″ x 20″ housings)
Max. Filter Life: 12 Months
Best Treatment Flow: 4-8 gpm
Max. Flow: 15 gpm
Max. Pressure: 90 psi
Max. Temperature: 100° F
Number of Filters: 2
General PolyHalt® Notes. See “How It Works” Tab for more details:
- Just like salt-based softeners, there will be spots but any spots will be easier to clean.
- Water will not feel slippery or slimy with PolyHalt® a softener like it does with a traditional salt softener
- Hardness, iron, manganese and silica test results will be equal before & after treatment. This is because treatment with PolyHalt® does not remove these contaminants it changes them to a harmless form and they can no longer cause problems in the water or on surfaces they touch.
- Water could be worse after install while plumbing is being cleaned. May need to clean aerators, shower heads etc.
Raw Water Parameters / Conditions for Operation
Bacteria: None Allowed
Colloidal Iron: NA
Hardness: Max 25 grains (427 ppm)
Hydrocarbons, oils, or lubricants: None Allowed
Hydrogen Sulfide: None Allowed (use ICS-H to remove)
Iron & Manganese (Clear Only): <6 ppm Combined
Iron & Manganese (Colored): <1 ppm
Iron Bacteria: None Allowed
Organic Iron: None Allowed
pH: >6.0 and <8.5
Sediment: >5 micron
Silica: <100 ppm
Tannin / Organics: None Allowed
Turbidity: Less than 1 NTU
Notes for all ICS systems:
- DO NOT INSTALL ON WATER THAT IS MICROBIOLOGICALLY UNSAFE
- If Raw Water Parameter Condition for Operation = “NA” the systems will not affect and is not affected by concentrations of that parameter typically found in drinking water
- If Raw Water Parameter Condition for Operation = “None Allowed” Remove through adequate pre-treatment
- If Raw Water Parameter Condition for Operation = “Not for extreme levels” The cartridge useful life may be shortened and require more frequent replacement.
- Extreme levels of any parameter may shorten useful cartridge life
- Stated “Max Capacity” may be reduced by overall raw water chemistry
Complete treatment with the ICS-STPK is a three step process.
Step 1: Water first passes through a multimicron sediment filter to reduce visible sediment and particles. This filter is specially designed for high sediment holding capacity, high flow rates and for longer life without a large reduction in your available water pressure.
Step 2. Water is filtered through a specially designed activated carbon filter improving water quality by filtering out objectionable chlorine taste and odor. Your water will be much more pleasant to drink and cook with and to bath in. This filter is not recommended as stand-alone treatment for hydrogen sulfide, rotten egg smell or for waters containing chloramine.
Step 3. Next, water flows through PolyHalt® media where it is softened, treated to prevent iron and manganese staining and silica etching and pitting. A small amount of PolyHalt® enters the water to protect your plumbing, fixtures and appliances from low pH or aggressive water conditions.
How PolyHalt® works;
PolyHalt® works because of differences in electrical charges between dissolved metals in the water and PolyHalt®. Technically PolyHalt® treats dissolved metals via a well known process is called Ionic-Bonding resulting in a new ionic complex. A more thorough description of how PolyHalt® works (see below) can be a little technical but simply put PolyHalt® works on the “Opposites Attract” principle.
PolyHalt®, is a negatively charged semi-solid material while metals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese dissolved in water are positively charged. As positively charged metals flow through negatively charged PolyHalt® an amount of PolyHalt® equal to that required to form a new ionic-bond is automatically proportionally released to form new ionic complexes. These new complexes are very different than the original, they are chemically different with new behavior properties than before treatment.
What new properties do PolyHalt® complexes have?
Hardness Minerals – Calcium and Magnesium;
Cannot form hard scale or stick to surfaces. Cannot bind with soaps to form a curdy precipitate (soap scum). PolyHalt® complexed hardness minerals remain in the water and the water behaves as if they are not present, scale formation is prevented, water is easy to work with. Water is softened without salt
Evaporative water spots;
Water spots formed when water evaporates are much easy to clean up. Most often all that is required is to simply wipe the spots away without hard work or chemicals.
Removal of existing scale;
PolyHalt® treated water tends to solve existing hard water scale from surfaces cleaning them over time.
Prevention of curdy precipitate (soap scum);
PolyHalt® treated hardness minerals cannot bind with soaps. Use less soap cleaning and get cleaner easier.
Protection of plumbing and appliances from Low pH or aggressive water that can soften and dissolve metals causing plumbing leaks and appliance failure;
A very thin coating of PolyHalt® forms a protective insulating layer on the metallic surfaces of metals exposed to Low pH or aggressive water.
Silica etching and pitting;
Though we are not sure of the chemical reason we know PolyHalt® somehow prevents etching and pitting of glass from silica.
Iron and Manganese treatment;
Dissolved iron and manganese in water are clear. Treatment with PolyHalt® keeps them clear, it prevents them from reacting with oxygen and changing to their colored form. PolyHalt® treated iron and manganese remain in the water unable to cause typical orange / red and brown / black form staining.
Blue and Green Staining;
Blue / green staining happens when copper leached from plumbing by water that is low pH or low TDS (total dissolved solids). Blue / green stains are prevented with PolyHalt® treatment because PolyHalt® forms a very thin protective insulating layer on the metallic surfaces of metals exposed to Low pH or aggressive water
PolyHalt® is a unique polyphosphate formula derived from naturally occurring phosphorous bearing rock. Levels of polyphosphate allowed in drinking water are regulated by the USEPA. Automatic proportional control and safety of PolyHalt® is tested and certified by NSF, an independent third-party testing agency. PolyHalt® has no color, taste or odor so it will not change these features of treated water.
Testing Hardness, Iron and Manganese:
Because PolyHalt® softens water by forming complexes with rather than removing hardness minerals through ion exchange and replacement with salt as with a conventional salt-based softener your water will test the same for calcium and magnesium before and after treatment.
A water hardness test shows how much calcium and magnesium are in the water, it does not show how the treated water behaves. Though there are differences in PolyHalt® and conventional salt-based softened water, they both essentially behave the same, they make untreated hard water with calcium and magnesium minerals easier to work with. One leaves the hardness minerals in the water, the other replaces them with salt.
This same principle holds true for iron and manganese in the water. PolyHalt® form a new complex with iron and manganese through ionic bonding. Without removing these metals they are rendered harmless unable to convert to their colored form. Because the new harmless complex remains in the water after treatment testing will show the same concentration before and after treatment.
PolyHalt® is consumed during the treatment process and so it must be replaced to prevent water problems from recurring. Maximum filter life is 1 year for whole home systems and 6 months for smaller Point of Use systems. Most often PolyHalt® will last a full year but water quality and volume treated may affect shorten filter life. Spots that are hard to clean after treatment indicate it is time to replace your filter. So you never end up with bad water problems again consider our “Filter Reminder Service” or “Autoship” options.
One difference between conventional salt-based softeners and PolyHalt® saltless softeners you need to be aware of is how the water “feels”. Unlike salt softened water, PolyHalt® treated water does not feel “slippery” so if you like and want to have the slippery feeling created when salt is added to your water a PolyHalt® saltless softener may not be for you.
Just as with salt-based softeners your water may still produce spots as it evaporates. Water spots after treatment with PolyHalt® will be much easier to clean, usually only requiring a simple wiping. Spots that are hard to clean after treatment indicate it is time to replace your filter.
Your water may be worse after treatment. This is a normal effect of using PolyHalt® as it begins to loosen and clean away existing scale buildup in plumbing pipes and fixtures. This is a temporary condition that usually stops after 30 to 60 days ending when existing buildup is cleaned up.
The new complex made by the binding of PolyHalt® with minerals is strong and stable at temperatures less than 140° F. and will not break down or revert over many months or even years.