Irrigation Staining Problems
Irrigation staining happens when the water used to irrigate our lawns and gardens contains iron. When the water is sprayed upon a surface the iron turns to rust and caused red / orange staining. If you have this problem you know how embarrassing and ugly it is and how damaging it can be to your home, sidewalks, driveways and even your vehicles.
Why does your irrigation water have iron in it?
Typically a residential water treatment system is installed to treat the water in the home and irrigation water is not treated. This is because of several reasons including;
- Higher cost for larger equipment needed to treat more water
- Increased maintenance and operating cost because the system uses more salt
- Higher volumes of salty waste water are produced because of the larger system and treating more water
- Larger systems have a bigger space requirement and space may not be available
- If a salt is used in the treatment process to remove the iron;
- You will be spraying water high in sodium on your lawn, plants and gardens
- High Sodium water causes problems of its own:
- It will cause the ground to become hard and this creates a problem where water can’t penetrate the surface and so it does not get to the roots
- Many plants and grasses do not tolerate high levels of sodium and they do not do very well or may even die
What can you do?
If you want to address irrigation staining you have to treat the irrigation water. As we learned above, salt softeners are not the best treatment. An alternative is to use PolyHalt® to treat the iron. PolyHalt® treats iron by preventing it from being able to turn to rust. The iron can’t cause red / orange stains. Irrigation staining from iron in the water is simply eliminated with PolyHalt®.
Advantages of PolyHalt®
- Treatment is simple and effective
- PolyHalt® treatment does not use salt.
- PolyHalt® does not cause problems with the soil or the plants
- Treatment systems using PolyHalt® do not produce waste water
- No power is required
- Lower cost for the treatment compared to a softener
- Low maintenance and operating costs
- Smaller sized treatment system. Can fit more places
- PolyHalt® treats more than iron, other problems treated with PolyHalt® include;
- silica and
Treatment with PolyHalt® gives you a realistic solution to your irrigation staining problems. If you need to prevent the staining while not causing harm to your lawns, plants and gardens PolyHalt® products from Cascadian Water are a great solution.
What is PolyHalt CTA to view more Cascadian Clear water treatment blogs.